Sunday, July 17, 2005

Become a Child of Faith

Quote:
Unfortunately I cannot come to the lord as a child, as I am now 27. I have always thought this is a problem because whatever you are told as a child you tend to believe and it is not always an honest belief. I believed in Santa Claus as a child and that was a lie. If I remained as a child in that belief would that be reasonable? I doubt anybody would say yes. So we do have to apply reason in our beliefs to make sure they are based on truth.


You are misunderstand what I am saying. I am not telling you to join a Peter Pantheism type of religion where you act childish. What I am asking is totally reasonable because it is conforming to reality. God is the creator and we are his creatures. This is the reality and if we place ourselves as God or even equal to God then we are the ones who are living a lie. The reality is we are dependent on God like Children. Jesus said the following;

"Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." (Luke 18:15-17)

I am also not telling you to be unreasoable or never question. I am just pointing out that the starting point cannot be your mind or your understanding. The foundation is to submit with childlike trust with faith in God. In the words of St. Augustine, "I believe, in order to understand; and I understand, the better to believe."

It’s kind of like looking at stain glass windows of a great Cathedral from the outside. The windows are really drab from the outside looking in. But if you look from the inside out then the true beauity and reality of the stain glass windows is realized.

No comments: